This page is a work in progress in which I intend to create a list of works which characterize this category. For now I am going to begin in 1901 and create a chronological list of classical music written with the intent of expressing a political opinion. Contributions are welcome and this page is a living document, meaning that it will be updated periodically as I add new works.
Comments and suggestions are welcomed. This page started July 6, 2019.
- Smyth, Ethel The March of the Women (song with accompaniment)
- Nono, Luigi Intolleronza 1960 (opera)
- Zimmerman, Bernd Alois Die Soldaten (opera)
- Stockhausen, Karlheinz Hymnen (for chorus, tape, orchestra; multiple revisions 1969
- Henze, Hans Werner Das Floß der Medusa (cantata)
- Versuch über Schweine (voice and orchestra)
- Henze, Hans Werner El Cimarrón
- Rzewski, Frederic Coming Together, for speaker and variable ensemble
- Bernstein, Leonard Mass, a Theater Piece for Singers, Players, and Dancers
- Rzewski, Frederic Attica, for speaker and variable ensemble
- Rzewski, Frederic The People United Will Never Be Defeated! (solo piano)
- Henze, Hans Werner We Come to the River (opera)
- Rzewski, Frederic Peace Dances (nanosonatas nos. 22-28 for solo piano)
- Gann, Kyle War Is Just a Racket (speaking pianist)